Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Last Hurdle

Today I went and had my knee checked out by Dr. Michael Lee in Phoenix.  My knee does this clicking thing, and I wanted to be sure there wasn't structural damage in the joint before I try to ride my bike 2,700+ miles.  Dr. Lee was recommended by several people, so I scheduled an appointment.

The med tech shot some x-rays, and I was ushered into an exam room with posters displaying what can only be described as exploded views of various joints in the human body.  I stared at the knee poster for about 40 minutes, wondering which of the ligaments was dragging across which of the bones to produce the clicking sensation.  Is it the iliotibial band?  The fibular cruciate ligament?  The tibial tuberosity?  Who the heck is naming these body parts anyway?

Dr. Lee came in.  Very upbeat.  He said that from the x-rays, my knees look great.  Then he examined the knee, bending it every which way, squeezing and pinching, to see if there were any pain points.  None.  He said there was some minor inflammation, but that at this point he wouldn't even recommend an injection.  "Just take some anti-inflammatories with you."  Vitamin I (ibuprofen) and I are friends already, so I had no objections.

So- Thumbs up!  Green light!  All systems go!

That was the last possible thing that may have stopped me from boarding the plane to Calgary next week.  All that's left now is to get my hair cut, pack my bike in a box, and hitch a ride to the airport.

See y'all in Banff!

-David


1 comment:

  1. Since you probably have 1+ million turns of the knee ahead, do take care of it every day. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete