Saturday, March 20, 2010

TAL Pitch

I finally submitted "Road Kill" to This American Life. Here's my pitch:

TAL Story Pitch

Road Kill

by David Phillips

You’re on an empty stretch of highway, driving alone at night in early winter. Your tire goes flat. There is no spare. There’s no-one in sight. The nearest city is an hour away. You want to call for help, but have no idea where you are. You see what appears to be a mile marker some distance up the road. You leave the car and set off on foot in the moonlight.

You’re half way to your goal when a dog-like animal appears out of nowhere, nips at the back of your leg. It’s a rabid coyote. It circles around in front of you and suddenly you’re under attack as the animal lunges again and again. You suppress your panic as adrenaline floods your system. It’s some distance the car, you’re in no shape to outrun the beast, and the thing will not let up. Turn your back for a second, and it’s all over.

What do you do?

“Road Kill” is the story of what happened to me on the night of Friday November 7, 2008, on southbound I-25 in New Mexico near mile marker 401. I was armed with nothing more than a flashlight and the name of Jesus Christ. It sounds crazy, but this story is true. I have the scars to prove it.

If possible, I’d like to narrate the story myself. It would be an appropriate component for themes ranging from “Road Trips” to “Animal Attacks” to “Divine Intervention.” A full draft of the transcript is available on request. I hope you’re interested.

Love the show.

David Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment