Friday, July 19, 2013

A Line In The Sand

When starting out on the journey to lose weight and create health, one of the first things we ought to do is take a "before" picture.  As in, "this was me before I started losing weight."  Yet a lot of folks don't want to do it.  Why is that?

Okay, I'll be the first to admit: it's not fun standing in front of a camera when you're thick.  It just isn't.  I can't remember how many times I plastered on a smile and said Cheese! for the camera when I was overweight.  And that was at family functions and other events where the photo was pretty much an obligation.  I would do all I could to make myself look small.  "If I crane my neck and hold this angle, maybe the camera won't pick up my multi-chin" or "I'll just hide behind so-and-so, so nobody can see the gut."  Easy to do when you're 6'3".  You shorties out there have my sympathy.

But actually posing for a picture, the purpose of which is to accurately expose one's present physical condition?  Yikes!

It is critical that you do this.

I can't emphasize this enough.  The photo marks the pivot point in your life, the moment when everything changed.  You're saying, if only to yourself, "I am committing to this process, I am going to make this life change, I am going on this journey, and THIS is where I started."  It marks the day you drew a line in the sand.

Then, if you're feeling brave, post it up on your home page, and make that commitment public.  Scary?  Heck yeah!  But you will be amazed at the outpouring of support, sometimes from complete strangers, as you venture forth.

Someday you'll look at that picture and remember "Yup, that was me.  That's where I came from.  That's where I started.  And I am never going back there again."

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana, philosopher

If you've been longing to lose weight and get healthy, but don't know where to start, I can help.  I am a FREE Certified Health Coach with Take Shape For Life, and my mission is to help people create health in their lives.  Find out more here, or email me directly at DavidJamesPhillips@Gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment